Friday, August 23, 2013

Spastic Colin

Football season is almost upon us. And while this time of year always brings fresh hope and excitement, this time around, I have to admit, I'm a little bit worried.

Why? Is it because expectations for my beloved 49ers are sky-high, with Vegas lines and ESPN pundits predicting they'll win the Super Bowl after coming oh-so-close last year? Yeah, that's part of it. But it really has more to do with this:


This is what I opened my mailbox to discover the other day. (Yeah, I get GQ. Deal with it.) By now it's no secret that Colin Kaepernick, our studly young quarterback, whom many view as the second coming of Joe Montana, likes to show off his abs n' tats. After all, this shot is downright business casual compared to the spread he did a month earlier in ESPN The Magazine's "Body Issue":


Talk about overexposure. Look, I'll admit, I think Kaepernick is awesome. I'm a full-blown Kaepernickerbocker after what he did for the Niners last year. But come on, Kap. There's something to be said for humility. After all, you did lose the Super Bowl last year. You don't see Joe Flacco engaging in this sort of douchebaggery.

In fact, you don't see any other great quarterbacks going this out of their way to put their bodies on display - not Brady, not Peyton, not Brees, not Rodgers. The only one that comes to mind is this guy:


See why I'm worried now?

No comments:

Post a Comment